13 MAY 2013
BTN also goes out by email every Sunday night at midnight (UK time). To view this edition click here.
The Business Travel News
PO Box 758
Edgware HA8 4QF
+44 (0)20 8952 8383
© 2021 Business Travel News Ltd.
The Airports Commission, set up by the Government to assess the UK’s long-term aviation capacity needs, has unveiled a panel of leading environmental, engineering and transport experts to assist in its deliberations. The panel will ensure the Commission has access to the very best scientific and technical expertise, providing an extra level of challenge and quality assurance.
We list the members and also remind readers of the make-up of the actual Commission. There is no airline (or retired airline) person involved. Geoff Muirhead is an airport specialist, but very much represents the North of England. Of the new recruits, with the possible exception of David Starkie of Case Associates, there does not appear to be a single commercial air transport specialist included.
The Commission's ‘Experts’
• Professor Helen Apsimon; Professor of Air Pollution Studies, Imperial College London
• Dr Charlotte Clark; Senior Lecturer in Environmental and Mental Health Epidemidogy, Barts and the London School of Medicine
• Professor Piers Forster; Professor of Physical Climate Change, University of Leeds
• Dr Andrew Kempton; Chief Noise Specialist, Rolls-Royce
• Professor Peter Mackie; Research Professor of Transport Studies, University of Leeds
• Professor Andrew McNaughton; Technical Director, High Speed Two Ltd and previously Chief Engineer, Network Rail
• Professor Henry Overman; Professor of Economic Geography, London School of Economics
• Mr George Paulson; Independent Consultant; former Director of Safety and Airspace, Eurocontrol
• Dr David Quarmby; Chairman, RAC Foundation and previously Chairman of the Strategic Rail Authority and British Tourism Authority
• Professor Andreas Schäfer; Professor in Energy and Transport, University College London
• Professor Keith Shine; Professor of Physical Meteorology, University of Reading
• Mr David Starkie; Senior Associate, Case Associates
• Professor Callum Thomas; Professor of Sustainable Aviation, Manchester Metropolitan
The Davies Commission
• Sir Howard Davies; former Chairman of the Financial Services Authority
• Sir John Armitt; former Chairman of the Olympic Delivery Authority and former Chief Executive of Network Rail
• Professor Ricky Burdett; former member of the BP Executive Management Team
• Professor Dame Julia King; member of the Committee on Climate Change
• Geoff Muirhead CBE; former CEO of the Manchester Airport Group
All comments are filtered to exclude any excesses but the Editor does not have to agree with what is being said. 100 words maximum
No one has commented yet, why don't you start the ball rolling?