4 APRIL 2011


© 2022 Business Travel News Ltd.

Article from BTNews 4 APRIL 2011

Aer Lingus marks 75 years with the unveiling of a new retro-liveried aircraft

The former 1960s ‘Irish International’ livery is flying again.

In order to mark its 75th anniversary celebrations Aer Lingus has unveiled the latest addition to its fleet, an Airbus A320 EI-DVM, MSN 4634 series, named St Coleman.

Backdrop to the ceremonies was Old Central Terminal Building, Dublin Airport – designed by the late Desmond FitzGerald.  Cabin crew modelled vintage uniforms, from each decade beginning 1945 through to the current Aer Lingus uniform by acclaimed designer, Louise Kennedy.  

On 27 May 1936 Aer Lingus launched its first ever flight between Baldonnel and Bristol, with five passengers, on a six-seat De Havilland 84 Dragon named Iolar – meaning ‘Eagle’ in Irish.  As part of the anniversary celebrations, the sister aircraft of the Iolar has undergone a restoration project, meaning it is once again airworthy and will partake at celebratory events throughout the year.

In its inaugural year Aer Lingus operated three routes, carrying 892 passengers and employed a total of 12 staff.  In 2010, its 75th year of service, the airline carried 9.4m people, flying to over 100 routes – to 75 destinations in 22 countries and providing employment to almost 4,000 staff. www.aerlingus.com

Index/Home page

OUR READERS' FINEST WORDS (All times and dates are GMT)

All comments are filtered to exclude any excesses but the Editor does not have to agree with what is being said. 100 words maximum