6 MAY 2019
BTN also goes out by email every Sunday night at midnight (UK time). To view this edition click here.
The Business Travel News
PO Box 758
Edgware HA8 4QF
+44 (0)20 8952 8383
© 2019 Business Travel News Ltd.
Moves in the High Court to block the Heathrow expansion plan were thrown out last week as judges rejected a claim for a judicial review that threatened to push back the third runway development by years.
A Heathrow spokesperson said: “We are delighted with today’s ruling. We are getting on with delivering the once-in-a-generation project that will connect Britain to global growth, providing thousands of new jobs and an economic boost for this country.”
Industry bodies generally welcomed the decision but ABTA chief executive Mark Tanzer added: "It is important urgent progress is now made on delivering the additional capacity the UK economy urgently requires.
"Forecasts show our airports are quickly reaching capacity, especially at Heathrow… ABTA supports expansion, but we are clear full consideration must be given to the environmental impact on local communities.”
Heathrow-based business and landowner the Arora Group, which has put forward alternative proposals for the airport’s terminal expansion, also welcomed the High Court decision but noted its own plan was still on the table. The project, Heathrow West, is set to be exhibited to the public from Wednesday, 8 May.
The Heathrow Hub consortium said it would review the judgment but continued to believe its proposal for an extended runway was “cheaper, quicker to build and quieter than Heathrow Airport’s third runway”.
All comments are filtered to exclude any excesses but the Editor does not have to agree with what is being said. 100 words maximum
No one has commented yet, why don't you start the ball rolling?