* items include readers letters
15 FEBRUARY 2016
BTN also goes out by email every Sunday night at midnight (UK time). To view this edition click here.
The Business Travel News
PO Box 758
Edgware HA8 4QF
+44 (0)20 8952 8383
© 2021 Business Travel News Ltd.
Back in 1979 the then Gatwick airport owner BAA signed an agreement with West Sussex County Council not to build a second runway until at least 2019.
Regardless of a Government decision on the site of a third runway in the South East Gatwick is now virtually full in terms of aircraft movements. Whilst proud of its position as the only major international airport to operate a single main strip the airport urgently needs to make a decision on its future.
Speaking to a group of more than 80 construction leaders and chief executives at Construction News’ quarterly breakfast briefing last week, Raymond Melee, development director at Gatwick, told guests that the airport is rapidly approaching maximum capacity, and investment plans are being brought forward to cope with growing passenger numbers.
“Gatwick has already invested £1.3bn since becoming independent from BAA ownership, transforming the way we operate to deliver a world-class experience for our passengers”, he said. “Over the next five years we will be investing £1.2bn to meet accelerated passenger growth and bringing forward crucial infrastructure projects. Gatwick will in the very near future also be seeking expressions of interest from consultants to tender for work on our second runway building programme.
Will Gatwick press ahead with a second runway regardless of the government’s choice? www.gatwickairport.com
All comments are filtered to exclude any excesses but the Editor does not have to agree with what is being said. 100 words maximum
Howard Thomas, Loxwood
I've always believed both Gatwick and Heathrow need an additional runway and even if Heathrow gets the nod from government I think Gatwick should take the initiative and go for an extra runway, too.