22 JUNE 2015


© 2022 Business Travel News Ltd.

Article from BTNews 22 JUNE 2015

AND FINALLY: Where was the airport security?

An Italian couple ran out onto the tarmac of Malta Airport to stop a Ryanair jet from leaving for Italy without them, a Maltese court heard.

Matteo Clementi, 26, and Enrica Apollonio, 23, got stuck in traffic on their way to the airport. By the time they arrived, the gate was closed and they were not allowed on board, Times of Malta reported.

They went to the next gate, forced open a security door, ran to the apron and began signalling to the pilots to let them on the aircraft. The engines were running and the stairs had been removed.

The two were not allowed on board and were arrested by security staff.

Their lawyer said in Court that it was Apollonio's 23rd birthday and she had been looking forward to celebrating it with her family "but instead spent it in a cell."

The couple were fined €2,329 (about £2,000).

But the real question is how was a security door forced?  What has Malta Airport got to say?!


This reminds the Editor of a similar story that happened to him many years ago with a happy ending. 

He was boarding an aircraft in Jersey bound for London when he was told there was an urgent phone call in the offices (in the days before mobiles).  When he finished on the phone he returned to the gate to see his transport taking off.  In those days security was more relaxed.

He noticed another aircraft on the apron just about to close up, also going to London.  "Welcome on board," said the chief hostess.  On the flight where he should have been a passenger the friends he was hosting were shocked to discover Ginsberg was not on board.  

It turned out that the second aircraft was faster than the original one.  It arrived first and Ginsberg was at the gate to meet his mates!

Index/Home page

OUR READERS' FINEST WORDS (All times and dates are GMT)

All comments are filtered to exclude any excesses but the Editor does not have to agree with what is being said. 100 words maximum

Tony Hesketh-Gardener, England

Heathrow 1959. One of my fellow officers used to fly over from Hannover for major race meetings when he would also have his hair cut by Mr Trumper in Jermyn Street. On this occasion, he arrived late at Heathrow and his BEA Viscount was already on the tarmac. So he raced across the runway, stood in front of the aircraft, waving his arms and shouting "You must let me on board, I am dining my colonel out tonight" (the custom when the commanding officer of the regiment was being changed). The door was opened, the steps were lowered and he gratefully took his seat. Then the aircraft remained stationery for about 10 minutes when the doors were opened again and the steps were lowered one more, much to the officer's disgust as he thought that his unique feat was about to be duplicated. A few moments later, his cases were brought on board, the steps were raised, the door was closed and he duly arrived back at the regiment in time for the colonel's dining out.